M27 Southampton junction 8
We're making improvements to the M27 junction 8 and Windhover roundabout.
Research has shown that the M27 junction 8 has unfortunately had a significant number of casualties, particularly between 2009 and 2011.
Poor air quality associated with vehicle emissions is currently an issue within the local area. The local authorities are keen to make improvements to encourage more sustainable modes of transport such as walking, cycling or public transport in an effort to improve air quality and health.
Congestion at Windhover roundabout is currently caused by a combination of localised peak time traffic (7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm) and rat-running to avoid M27 junction 8 tailbacks.
The scheme improvements will help alleviate traffic congestion which will benefit the community in terms of better air quality for local residents and support the economy by providing improved journey times for local businesses using the route. The improvements will lead to a reduction in the number of casualties.
The aims of this scheme are to:
- support economic growth – contributing to sustainable economic growth by supporting employment and local residential development opportunities
- improve connectivity and reduce journey times around M27 junction 8 and Windhover Roundabout
- provide a safe and serviceable network – improving the safety record at M27 junction 8 and Windhover Roundabout (60 year look ahead assessment period)
- provide a more free-flowing and reliable network – reducing congestion around the M27 junction 8 and Windhover Roundabout and improve journey time reliability and connectivity between east and west of the M27 junction 8 – Windhover Roundabout
- provide a safe, accessible and integrated network – delivering capacity enhancements to the M27 junction 8 and Windhover Roundabout, while supporting the safe, accessible use of active travel modes for pedestrians and cyclists
- provide an improved environment – seeking to prevent the worsening of air quality by reducing congestion and journey times along the M27 junction 8 and Windhover Roundabout and aiming to mitigate noise impact