We are reviewing plans with our delivery partner for the A47/A141 Guyhirn junction scheme as part of the development stage of the scheme.
Public information events will take place once the scheme design has been developed further.
|2021||Start of works|
|2022||Open for traffic|
The need for the scheme
This scheme is needed as the A47/A141 Guyhirn junction experiences heavy congestion during peak hours. The current issues with this junction are the roundabout capacity, the lack of lane space and poor visibility on the roads as drivers approach the roundabout. The capacity issue will be further exacerbated by 2031 due to proposed future developments in the area.
Significant growth in traffic demand is expected along the A47 corridor due to employment and residential growth, especially adjacent to the corridor and beyond the Fenland District in which Guyhirn is located.
The aims and objectives of the proposed A47/A141 Guyhirn junction improvements are to:
- support and facilitate planned and future development growth and to upgrade the junction to one that is safe to operate
- increase capacity at the junctions and improve traffic flow
- reduce collisions and injuries at the junction, contributing to our target to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our network by 40%
- reduce delays and improve journey time reliability, making movements at the junction more free-flowing and making journey times more reliable
- improve connectivity for local people living and working near the scheme and improve amenities for cyclists and pedestrians
The scheme in detail
The single option proposed for the Guyhirn junction aims to increase the size of the roundabout with widening of the existing carriageway on the River Nene Bridge to accommodate an additional lane of traffic.
Roadworks and Events for England
The latest incident information for England's motorway and trunk routes provided by Highways England
Breaking News: Traffic Information
The latest current breaking news items for England's motorway network