Between June and August 2017 we consulted on an option for the A31 Ringwood improvements scheme. We put forward an option (Option 1) which included the following:
- Increase the width of the A31 from two lanes to three lanes on the westbound carriageway between the Ringwood and Verwood junctions (approximately 1km)
- Increase the width of the two bridges over the River Avon and Bickerley Millstream to accommodate the westbound third lane
- The West Street junction with the A31 is closed to motorised vehicles
- The Fish Inn Pub entry/exit to the A31 is closed to motorised vehicles
- The Petrol Filling Station remains open
- The existing cycle/foot path adjacent to the A31 will be improved
- Collaborate with Ringwood Town Council to assist delivery of the local Town Access Plan
We asked for comments and views on the different elements of this proposal and whether the justifications for rejecting two other options (Options 2 and 3) were understood.
Following an in depth analysis of the of the work done to date as well as your feedback, we will proceed with developing Option 1, with the key concerns raised at consultation being further considered in the next stages of the scheme design and development.
For more information on the preferred route announcement and to view a copy of the reports, go to our consultation page.
We will commence the design stages and the scheme will be taken through the necessary planning and statutory procedures.
We will continue to work closely with our stakeholders, including with the local authorities to identify improvements within Ringwood Town Centre, which may be delivered in conjunction with the A31 scheme.
|Winter 2017||Consideration of improvements to Ringwood Town centre|
|Spring 2021||Start of works|
|2022||Open to traffic|
Why we need this schemeThe A31 is an important route between Bournemouth and the Southern Coast. It experiences delays at peak times. This is caused by a high volume of traffic and by the number of junctions that are close together. The route also experiences heavy seasonal congestion during the summer months, particularly during the August Bank Holiday weekend.
AimsThis scheme will:
- increase capacity for local traffic using the A31 to cross the River Avon, meaning fewer delays and more reliable journeys
- provide improvements for pedestrians
- improve safety at the junction of West Street with the A31
- provide the infrastructure to support growth plans, employment opportunities and housing
Roadworks and Events for England
The latest incident information for England's motorway and trunk routes provided by Highways England
Breaking News: Traffic Information
The latest current breaking news items for England's motorway network