Classifying and marking our information
The Government Security Classification Scheme outlines the way in which we protectively mark our data and information to keep it safe
All Highways England employees and suppliers:
- are responsible for protecting the information they use
- must apply the government security classification scheme to Highways England data and information
The classification used for all information within Highways England is OFFICIAL. There is no requirement to explicitly mark information as OFFICIAL.
There is a subset of information either produced or processed by Highways England and our supply chain which has a greater level of sensitivity.
This information should be clearly marked OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE whether it is physical or electronic information.
- information that could compromise our security
- risk registers for operational risks
- personal information (which can be marked with a PERSONAL tag)
- financial and commercially sensitive information (which can be marked with a COMMERCIAL tag)
Find out more about the Government Security Classification Scheme.