Highways England CCTV GDPR privacy notice
With regard to CCTV operated on the motorways and major roads of England (commonly known as the Strategic Road Network) Highways England is the data controller as defined by the General Data Protection Regulations and we can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and on 0300 123 5000. Highways England CCTV is processed for the purposes of incident and traffic management and the legal basis for processing any personal information captured by the system(s) falls within Article 6 (1) (e) of the General Data Protection Regulations – it is carried out in the public interest to monitor the efficient and safe running of the network. Highways England CCTV data is retained for 7 days and where requested we may share the information with:
• the emergency services for the prevention or detection of crime or safety purposes
• third parties eg solicitors, insurance companies, members of the public for insurance purposes
Under the General Data Protection Regulations individuals are afforded certain rights:
• right of access to the data (Subject Access Request) – you can make a request to Highways England for a copy of the personal information held about you. On receipt of such a request Highways England is required to respond within one month. Should you wish to make such a request please submit the request in writing to: DataProtectionAdvice@highwaysengland.co.uk
• right for the rectification of errors – you have the right to request we rectify any mistakes or inaccuracies relating to the personal information we hold about you
• right to erasure of personal data – you have the right to request we erase or delete any personal information we hold about you. These requests can be made verbally or in writing. Please note this not an absolute right and only applies in certain circumstances. Upon receipt of such a request Highways England must respond within one month.
• right to restrict processing or to object to processing – you have the right to request the restriction or suppression of your personal data. Please note this is not an absolute right and only applies in certain circumstances. When processing is restricted, Highways England is permitted to store the personal data, but not use it. The request for restriction can be made verbally or in writing and Highways England has one month to respond to a request.
• right to data portability – this right allows you to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. It allows you to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way, without affecting its usability. This enables you to take advantage of applications and services that can use this data to find you a better deal or help you understand your spending habits. This right only applies to information you have provided to us.
Should you have a complaint about the way in which we have handled your personal information you should contact the Information Commissioner’s Office helpline on 0303 123 1113.
If you have any data protection concerns or queries please contact our Data Protection Officer (Graham Woodhouse) at DataProtectionAdvice@highwaysengland.co.uk.
Return to Traffic Camera services