M1/M62 Lofthouse Interchange
We have a pipeline of over 30 schemes which will be considered for 2025-2030 and beyond. The M1/M62 Lofthouse Interchange is one of these.
In our 2020-25 Delivery Plan we set out our plans to develop a steady and flexible pipeline of over 30 schemes for consideration in the third road period and beyond. This includes the M1/M62 Lofthouse Interchange.
This pipeline will ensure we are ready to upgrade our roads in 2025 and beyond.
Over the second road period, we will prioritise schemes for development, considering value for money, affordability and our strategic objectives. We will only progress schemes to delivery if they provide value for money.
There is no commitment from government to construct this scheme. Decisions about what will be constructed from 2025 onwards will be made by the government as part of its RIS planning process.
The Lofthouse junction suffers from congestion and delays during peak times. With our proposals we intend to increase capacity to ease traffic flows and support wider growth in employment and housing.
The plans will also reduce accidents, especially shunt and side swipe accidents, will complement the smart motorway schemes and increased traffic demand and support West Yorkshire’s development aspirations.
- continue in line with the government’s policy by reducing congestion and disruption to journeys for road users
- contribute to our targets of reducing the number of killed or seriously injured
- increase capacity through the interchange
- support West Yorkshire’s development aspirations
- complement the M1 smart motorways scheme and its increased traffic demand
- improve safety by reducing shunt and side swipe accidents
- improve road condition and reduce maintenance costs