A19 Norton to Wynyard
Widening the A19 between Norton and Wynyard
We are increasing the A19 from two lanes in each direction to three lanes between Norton and Wynyard.
Traffic is expected to grow with new housing and employment developments planned for the area and this scheme allows for this to happen.
The scheme will benefit local residents and businesses by relieving congestion, improving journey time reliability and network resilience.
Replacement of the road surface will also reduce road traffic noise. The scheme will promote growth in the local economy and local area by bringing forward developments in the Tees Valley area, supporting the government’s initiative for growth in the north-east.
Both carriageways will be widened to provide three traffic lanes. The existing speed limit of 70mph will be retained.
The existing section of concrete carriageway will be replaced with low-noise surfacing.
Any current public rights of way including footbridges and underpasses will either be maintained or replaced.
The additional lane in both directions provided between the junctions will help traffic joining or leaving the A19.
The aims of this scheme are to:
- reduce congestion by increasing road capacity
- significantly reduce traffic noise
- reduce delays and improve journey reliability
- make journeys safer by improving the standard and capacity of the road
- support economic growth by assisting in bringing forward developments in the Tees Valley while supporting the government’s initiative for growth in the north-east